Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Tue Oct 1 08:43:54 UTC 2019

On Monday, 30 September 2019 at 18:41:07 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> It's just like Walter himself has said on several occasions.
> Why bend over backwards to please the non-adopting crowds who
> will just move on to the next excuse not to use D once you've
> addressed their current complaint? Rather, we should be
> concerned about making *existing* users happier -- and there's
> no shortage of action items there.

How do you reconcile that with people leaving D again? Anyway,
there are two things in the statement above:

1. Walter admits that D only caters for a few users with very
specific use cases (niches). There's nothing wrong with that, but
please state it _publicly_ on dlang.org. Of course people will be
p****d off when they are sold one thing (general purpose
language), only to find out later that they don't count at all,
that D is only for the "chosen few". Also, the "chosen few"
shouldn't go on about how great things are with D, of course it's
great for _them_, because they get their pet features implemented.
2. Given 1., it makes even less sense that D is such a mess. If
you have a small target audience with a more or less small set of
requirements, then D could focus on that and have a sound and
compact language for special purposes.

In other words, D fails in both ways. It disregards the ordinary
programmer, but it doesn't provide its pet users (the "chosen
few") with a sound and stable language either. So what is D all
about then?