Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 20:03:28 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 at 12:29:59 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 at 05:35:22 UTC, Ecstatic Coder
> wrote:
>> As I said earlier, I *REALLY* wanted to implement Cyclone, my
>> CQL/SQL script runner in D.
>
> are you familiar with my libraries? your code there looks
> trivial to do in D, the only piece I don't have sitting on my
> shelf is the cassandra one, and since there's a C library for
> that, that'd be easily accessible with my framework.
>
> I think it is folly to insist on rewriting everything in your
> own language/library of choice. I'll agree there - the big guys
> might be able to do that (or be popular enough to get the other
> companies to officially support you) but D isn't really in that
> position. But we do have excellent interop with the lingua
> franca of apis - C. I have had reliable database code for ages
> because I just use an interface over the official C client
> libraries.
>
> HTTP I wrote from scratch, but even that got bootstrapped by
> reusing the existing stuff - the original cgi interface (which
> btw is now a misnomer, since it does let you do an embedded
> server) did the bare minimum to talk to apache and iis servers!
> And the original http client I did called curl. I have since
> replaced that with scratch too, but I still think curl is a
> decent way to do it.
>
> anyway though i just wonder if you tried it and found it sucked
> (or didn't try it cuz you saw it and was like "this sux" - to
> this day my docs are super light) or just didn't see it.

Indeed I didn't wanted to spend my week end trying to use
low-level C libraries or fixing the Cassandra package because it
is incomplete and abandoned since several years.

As I say, the easy path to success was to use Go, for all the
reasons I've explained.

Call this lazyness if you want, but my spare time was limited to
a few hours, and IMO D didn't allow me to easily implement this
very simple tool with just a few line of high level code like I
did in Go.

I understand that D's philosophy is that you must put efforts to
do this kind of development with it.

My philosophy is to take the tool which allows me to program what
I need quickly and efficiently. And for anything related to web
and database technologies, D is definitely not the path of less
friction.