Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Oct 2 09:57:50 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 at 10:05:31 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 at 08:47:19 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> 1. Walter admits that D only caters for a few users with very
>> specific use cases (niches).
>
> Which niches are these?
>
> My impression is that D primarily caters for users that want
> the feature-set of C++, but find C++ to be too inconvenient or
> complicated.

See what I've found, a very wise man:

"[managed languages] will have their share, but native languages
will also get a part of the cake. Here most developers seem to be
satisfied with the available choices: Go, Rust, C++, C, X (place
your favorite one in here).

So why should D now (suddenly) get the attention (which it would
certainly deserve)? My guess is that it won't be about making D
more attractive to new developers. I feel that the mission will
be to make D more powerful for a variety of very special
scenarios, which will give the language a piece of the cake that
[is] not in the mainstream area." (8/29/2015)
https://florian-rappl.de/News/Page/310/is-it-d-comeback

Funnily enough, it wasn't too long after that, in 2017, that I
was getting increasingly frustrated with D and started to look
for alternatives to D as I was beginning to realize that D had
become a language for "special scenarios" and that other use
cases (e.g. mobile) would never happen.