Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Rel relmail at rambler.ru
Thu Oct 3 07:19:52 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 2 October 2019 at 21:31:17 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2 October 2019 at 11:00:41 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> I don't know, but I'm sure they have carefully crafted special
>> purpose tooling around their D code (else you cannot work with
>> D anyway).
>
> That is the impression I am getting.
>
>> Apparently, Facebook has dropped active D development. I'm
>> always skeptical when I hear "X is using D now." People often
>> say that D needs a big player behind it, but the big players
>> actually have to be very careful with exotic languages. If it
>> doesn't scale, they cannot use it. It's not that they're all
>> knobs adopting the latest hipster fashion or sticking to old
>> technologies. They simply cannot risk to be stuck with an
>> exotic language.
>
> Right, most larger companies have used multiple languages, but
> there is a big difference between trying out a new tool on some
> smaller projects and going for it for larger critical
> applications.
>
>> Smaller organizations that operate within very special
>> scenarios can afford to use D and it might give them an edge
>> over their competitors.
>
> Startups is not the best canary as startups have less
> risk-aversion and technology choices are more influenced by the
> preferences of the initial staff. They usually don't have
> enough experience with the task at hand when they start out to
> properly evaluate the tradeoffs, although since they often are
> cash-restricted they might go with what they think is the
> cheaper alternative (or "productivity" as you mentioned). How
> that works out is difficult to assess. No (sane) company will
> speak in negative terms about their tech-choices publicly of
> course, as it would undermine themselves in terms of PR. Thus
> it is also very difficult to assess what they say (they tend to
> speak positively about the tech they choose) and one has to
> assess how they expand into the tech platform as time goes on.

As for startups I really like NoRedInk's story, who started with
Ruby and React and eventually gradually switched to Haskell and
Elm and never looked back. There are few talks on YouTube by
Richard Feldman about this story, which is kinda interesting.