Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Oct 3 12:53:58 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 at 11:59:08 UTC, mipri wrote:

> The rhetorical value of hyperbolic language like this is that
> it's so
> rare in these forums. Everyone's just so peppy and ra-ra about
> D all
> the time that it's very startling to see any dissent.

I know that D is "the best language in the world" and anyone who
points out serious flaws is a heretic. But thanks for pointing it
out.

> Hi. I don't know what you're talking about, because I've done
> exactly this with dub, but I have some guesses.
>
> Option #1: Python and Java are super popular, so anything you
> happen
> to need will probably be downloadable and immediately usable.
> "People
> don't use D because people don't use D."
>
> Potential technical answer to option #1: use D. By this measure
> you'll contribute to people using D, and by an increment solve
> the problem of people not using D.

I used D for years. Got cured though. I think you get it only
once. After that, you are immune.

> Option #2: with Python and Java it's much more common for tools
> to be
> written in only Python and Java, and to only depend on other
> pure-Python and pure-Java libraries, so that when you want
> something
> you can just download a bunch of Python or Java code and it
> works.
> With D you'll more often hit a requirement to install some
> system
> libraries, and then you have to look that up, which is a pain.

In other words, a mess of dependencies.

> Potential technical answer to option #2: teach dub about common
> OS
> package systems so that it can A) suggest OS dependencies, and
> B)
> install OS dependencies. "I noticed that the binary I just
> built is
> linking to these libraries, because I ran ldd on it. Then I did
> a yum
> whatprovides /path/to/libraries and I found some RPMs. Do you
> want to
> add those as CentOS 7 OS dependencies for this project? This
> won't
> prevent anyone from installing your library, but it will make
> installation much easier on CentOS 7."
>
> Option #3. There are a bunch of technical inconveniences with
> dub that
> you won't describe because you've mentioned them before and
> nothing
> happened and now everyone agrees that D has an atrocious
> ecosystem,
> right?

There are loads of D users who dislike dub (I always used it for
convenience though). I don't know if it's dub itself or just the
fact that those who dislike it won't accept anything but make
files. I never cared, tbh. The docs used to be hard to read,
though, I don't know if that has improved.

> In the third case, sorry for intruding on your established
> consensus,
> but could you at least mention an actual problem with dub when
> it
> comes up? Any one of the actual problems, as opposed to the fake
> problem of "you can't just download D stuff and use it the way
> you
> can with Python."

To be clear, dub is NOT "D's ecosystem", it's a tiny part of it,
and most issues are not related to dub but to broken packages due
to compiler upgrades and other toolchains. For example, is there
a tool to streamline D integration into Android and iOS (cf.
Nim)? Where are the plugins for the major IDEs? D doesn't care,
but it sure won't scale this way.