Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Oct 3 19:54:32 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-10-03 at 12:13 +0000, Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
[…]

> IMO a package manager is only needed for scripty throw-away
> programming. I sincerely doubt it has a big effect on serious
> application development.

It seems that Python, Ruby, Rust, Go, and D disagree with this position, all
being based on source code packages. Indeed C++ is catching up and doing
something very package like.

> If you build something with a long horizon you don't need a
> package manager. The time it takes to download and build
> libraries from github is negligible compared to the overall
> development time. Besides, if you build something big you also
> ought to understand the code you are using and the build process,
> even if it is a library. You have to be able to maintain the
> library in case it is abandoned...

I think Cargo, Go, and Dub prove this to be wrong.

If you end up using a library that was third-party maintained but gets
abandoned, do not take the time to take over maintenance, change to another
library. There is generally a very good reason the library got abandoned, and
there are invariably very good newer replacements.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200