DIP 1024--Shared Atomics--Community Review Round 1

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Oct 4 03:41:34 UTC 2019

On 10/2/2019 10:25 AM, Manu wrote:
> Also the text: "Atomic reads perform an acquire operation, writes
> perform a release
> operation, and read-modify-write performs an acquire, then a
> modification, and then a release."
>
> What does that mean? I don't know what that's talking about.
> Please correct the DIP so we can understand it.

That follows the usage pattern in the C++ memory model documentation. I agree it
is hard to follow, but it is normal jargon for those familiar with the
subtleties of multi-threaded memory models.

I have written a spec PR that starts to formally define the memory model for D,
but it's been sitting there for a long time and nobody wants to touch it. I
don't think a DIP is the right place for it.

I see no reason to deviate from the C++ memory model semantics.