Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Oct 4 08:53:10 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 at 19:33:37 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

[snip]

That sounds exactly like the nightmare I imagined it to be. I
looked at Joakim's stuff a few times but realized the solutions
for D on Android were still way too tricky and delicate. What he
did is a great piece of engineering, but nothing that
particularly inspires you to say "Yes, I'll go with D!" I'm glad
that there is a bit of movement now.

> (And, to dream on, in the future we could potentially have
> built-in Java support in D, in a similar style that we
> interface with C/C++ today: declare Java classes/methods using
> D equivalents, and have the compiler or a library auto-generate
> the JNI code for it.  Or potentially just ditch JNI and use JNA
> instead, which is far less boilerplate-y. But as far as Android
> is concerned, JNA may not be available yet, so for the near
> future JNI seems to the way to go.)

That'd actually be great. Atm, interfacing D and Java is awkward.
I've done it a few times (once I compiled my D code to a lib and
used JavaFX for the UI), but it's certainly nothing you look
forward to doing ;)