Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 13:05:16 UTC 2019

On Friday, 4 October 2019 at 12:33:25 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Friday, 4 October 2019 at 11:54:33 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>>
>> That's true. I believe the "culture" of using libraries for
>> such things come from around ten years ago when browsers had
>> very different feature sets.
>
> That's definitely one of the reasons. I remember those days.
> But even MS finally gave in (IE just faded out, devs and users
> didn't care anymore), nowadays you can use JS and CSS and be
> confident that it will work (with a few minor exceptions like

Right, and the JS APIs are much better too.  I sometimes wonder
why jquery is still around? Established habits don't change
easily...

> like. So there is demand and I'm not against it, but one has to
> decide whether or not it's good for your own project(s).

Yeah, those frameworks are generally not good for mobil devices,
but can be very good for admin-desktop-user-interfaces and the
like.

Although this might change, some countries have cheap and fast
mobil data network providers. For instance I believe there is a
scandinavian provider that allows mobile users to download 1000GB
per month for around 50USD. And then you have 5G... so the
limiting factors do change.

> Sometimes it's a good solution, and it's good that we have it,
> but should you depend on it?

Right. You usually get much more fluid performance by rolling
your own. Then again, how fluid do you ned "preference settings"
to be? Different tools for different purposes.