Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Oct 4 15:34:32 UTC 2019

On Friday, 4 October 2019 at 15:02:36 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 02:14:33PM +0000, Jacob Carlborg via
> Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>> The simplest would probably be to add an external build step
>> in Xcode to compile the D code, which should produce a static
>> library. Then just link with that static library. It's a bit
>> simpler on iOS since everything is native code and there are
>> nothin like JNI that needs to be handled.
> [...]
>
> FYI, on Android there *is* a C API in the NDK that you can use
> to interface with the OS. IIRC Java/JNI is not strictly
> necessary, though it's certainly more convenient since a large
> number of built-in resources are only accessible to Java (esp.
> the various GUI components).
>
> I chose the mixed Java/D route mainly so that I can just
> leverage off the Java stuff that's already built-in, instead of
> homebrewing everything from scratch in D.

JNI is pretty much a requirement for anything that isn't OpenGL,
Vulkan, Audio, ISO C or ISO C++ standard libraries, even
accessing files outside the APK install directory requires Java
due to SAF.

Additionally since Android 7 Google has been clamping down the
NDK APIs to minimize exploits via native code.