[SAoC] Move semantics and STL containers

Exil Exil at gmall.com
Sun Oct 6 04:08:23 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 28 September 2019 at 21:29:35 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 12:55 PM Exil via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Saturday, 28 September 2019 at 11:06:02 UTC, Suleyman wrote:
>> > [1] https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/10426
>> > [2] https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/2704
>>
>> So was @rvalue pre-approved or something? Last thing I heard
>> about rvalue references is that they were rejected (along with
>> the DIP) and a new DIP was being written. Was that forgone?
>
> Completely different and unrelated topic. Passing rvalue
> temporaries
> by ref is different than rvalue references.
> It's not preapproved, this work is optimistic.

I wouldn't say they are completely different and unrelated. They
both result in rvalues being attached to a reference. The only
difference is one only allows rvalues specifically. It'd be a bad
idea to allow both implementations, imo. It'd just complicate
things further. Kind of a shame this was approved as a project,
couldn't something else have been approved that didn't have a
chance for the work to just be thrown away...