Most popular programming languages 1965-2019 (visualised)

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Oct 11 10:06:46 UTC 2019

On Friday, 11 October 2019 at 08:06:02 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> Bascially, you cannot aggregate data in the way the author of
> the video has. It isn't sound. You don't get an apple-pie if
> you throw oranges into the mix.

I agree, but it is still fascinating to see the rise of C, then
Java and Python (we all know that, but visualization helps). And
JS growing and shrinking and growing again, and PHP. It basically
is the history of technology, and I recognize it especially from
the 90ies onward as in internet > mobile devices. Objective-C
could only become "big" because of Apple, but when I first saw
Mac OS X, I knew they'd be big. A lot of people laughed and said
"Oh, the shiny icons, all Mickey Mouse!" But Jobs did the job
well. JS obviously succeeded due to the internet and the name
that lived off Java.

Now, this begs the question: To which extent do PLs influence the
course of technology (e.g. C in the 80ies) and to which extent
does the demand / the market created by new technologies
influence PLs and their use? It's a bit like the hen and the egg,
ain't it?

If anything, the video depicts a changing world and society and
PLs are just one indicator. I'd love to read a well researched
book about it.