Most popular programming languages 1965-2019 (visualised)

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Oct 11 10:32:11 UTC 2019

On Friday, 11 October 2019 at 10:06:46 UTC, Chris wrote:

> Now, this begs the question: To which extent do PLs influence
> the course of technology (e.g. C in the 80ies) and to which
> extent does the demand / the market created by new technologies
> influence PLs and their use? It's a bit like the hen and the
> egg, ain't it?

Oh, another thing, when and how did the general availability
(open source and "powerful" PCs) of PLs begin, i.e. when did
people (nerds) start to write software at home, this, of course
influenced the course of IT big time. The usual hen and egg: more
powerful machines (reasonably prized), more nerds/devs, more
nerds/devs more PCs etc.

Interesting fact (Europe): it wasn't until the late 2000s that
companies no longer demanded a CS degree but realized that a lot
of people where literate in terms of programming just because
they would do it at home as a hobby. I was really surprised the
first time I read something like "degree in CS or experience in
XYZ programming". And I remember the flamewars on the internet
after Apple had introduced Xcode ("Now every idiot can program,
the standard of software will go down!" - didn't happen, btw).
Nowadays if you don't have something like Xcode (cf. Android
Studio), you're out of the race. I.e. corporations empower people
and lock them in at the same time (market share), people break
out with the help of OSS and other corporations. I remember the
dark days when OSS was considered the "great unwashed", now no
corporation can do without it. Apple was one of the first, before
that Sun with Java? Please correct me, if you know more. I don't
have the whole picture.

Anyway, corporations create demands, users create demands. An
interesting feedback loop, to me it's nowhere clearer than in
software, it could  be used for courses in economics.