Most popular programming languages 1965-2019 (visualised)

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 12:14:02 UTC 2019

On Friday, 11 October 2019 at 12:00:38 UTC, Chris wrote:
> returns). I have it on good authority that the civil service
> still uses assembler in certain areas (revenue). I wonder why?

Interesting. Maybe they use assembler because a compiler could
inject malicious code?

Doesn't seem likely, but this reminds me of a fairly new research
topic of «proof carrying machine language».

But you are right, I've heard several people state that the late
80s Motorola 68000 machine language was so programmer friendly
that there was no real reason to write code in C...

I remember taking a course on operating system kernels where I
had the choice to use Motorola 68000 assembly or C, and I did
everything in assembly because it seemed both easier and more
fun. Actually, I believe I used assembly instead of C on the
on-paper-exam as well... because it seemed easer, I suppose.

Anyway, the both the 68000 instruction set and the first MIPS
instruction set are very programmer friendly. So it all depends,
I guess.