Most popular programming languages 1965-2019 (visualised)

Arun Chandrasekaran aruncxy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 20:14:16 UTC 2019

On Friday, 11 October 2019 at 06:30:28 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 October 2019 at 16:32:44 UTC, Ethan wrote:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og847HVwRSI
>>
>> While not unsurprising, it was still fascinating watching
>> Objective-C come out of nowhere to get in the list 25 years
>> after it was first released.
>
> Actually, it is surprising, because it is wrong. Assembler and
> BASIC was much larger in the mid 80s. 4GL should have a fairly
> strong presence in the late 80s. Etc.
>
> It is most likely based on surveys of big corporations. Most
> programming happend outside of those.

Coincidentally this talk brings up facts behind the PL popularity
trends. https://youtu.be/QyJZzq0v7Z4?t=124

Especially the fact that $$$ were spent in the Java marketing by
Sun and JS just boarded it with the Java buzzword. I am wondering
how much money Mozilla/Google would've spent on marketing Rust/Go.