DIP 1024--Shared Atomics--Community Review Round 1

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 22:34:56 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 12 October 2019 at 21:28:36 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> The fact that we have thread-local in the language requires
> that the type system then have the concept of shared. So, there
> should be no question about that.

Well, my understanding from what you wrote is that the shared
marker is 100% syntactical and has no semantic implications. In
that case it can be done as a library meta programming construct
(type wrapping). You just need a way to restrict application of
the constructs  based on code structure (@safe). So one could
establish a syntactical solution that is perfectly suitable for
meta programming?

But you could probably do better by introducing an effectsbased
typesystem.

Anyway, based on what you said shared does not have to be in the
language and could be replaced by more expressive metaprogramming
mechanisms. I think.