DIP 1024--Shared Atomics--Community Review Round 1

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 03:41:00 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 13 October 2019 at 00:13:12 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 3:35 PM Ola Fosheim Grøstad via The
> semantic implication is that there is no read or write
> access... just the same as how const says there is no write
> access.

Well, I understand what you mean, but if you can achieve the same
effect by hiding, then it is syntactical in nature.

That would be difficult with const in D ( might work in other
languages ).

> It's like I said above; shared MUST be in the language, because
> it defines one of the fundamental language semantics;
> thread-local by default.

Does the shared marker have any effect on generated code? If not,
then it is just a way to bypass (break) the type system on a
syntactical level.