Most popular programming languages 1965-2019 (visualised)

Laeeth Isharc laeeth at laeeth.com
Mon Oct 14 16:23:01 UTC 2019

On Friday, 11 October 2019 at 13:59:35 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Friday, 11 October 2019 at 13:36:20 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> On Friday, 11 October 2019 at 13:15:24 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd be interested in the dynamics: market, demand, the
>>> feedback technology <=> user, i.e. what drives what at what
>>> stage. At what stage do users have the upper hand and at what
>>> stage are users guided (or nudged) by technologies.
>>
>> That is a very interesting topic.  Feel free to send me an
>> email if you want to discuss it further. I believe I have some
>> books related to this in one way or another in another
>> location, gotta have a look at that when I get the
>> opportunity. Maybe something alone the lines of The Evolution
>> of Cooperation by Axelrod is relevant (I don't quite remember
>> the angle now, so gotta browse through my bookshelf later :-).
>>
>> I used to be interested in online worlds where the users
>> themselves can build or at least create societies with
>> activities of some sort, the paper I talked about above was
>> such a place. You played the adventure games, when you had
>> done them all, you would create new adventure games for
>> others. (I guess many text MUDs work that way.)
>>
>> Of course, online games and online communities are not
>> strictly market related, but there are at least stages that
>> users go through that one have to think about when designing
>> online games and online services. I haven't really followed
>> this topic much since 2005, but might look into it again...
>>
>> So yeah, certainly interested, and could also do some article
>> searches on the topic when I have time. :-)
>
> It'd be interesting to study software, hardware and IT
> technology in general in terms of the Austrian School - Ludwig
> von Mises and Friedrich von Hayek [2]. I think the period from
> 1970 till today is the perfect example if one wants to analyze
> how systems evolve, which turns they take, the various forces
> that work within them - and how the state still hasn't figured
> out how to control IT. Fascinating.
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_von_Mises
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Hayek

I went in 1993 to see Don Lavoie at the Center for the Study of
Market Processes at George Mason University, one of the three
important centres of the Austrian school at tbat time (Israel
Kirzner at NYU and Murray Rothbard at Auburn were the other
ones).  And whilst I was waiting for him I found a very
interesting thesis by a guy on software components, applying
Austrian capital theory sorts of ideas to software.  I read the
whole thing there and recently wondered what had happened to the
author because open source was sort of what he talked about if
not what he had in mind.  It was Brad Cox, creator of Objective C.

There are two strains of thought when it comes to thinking about
uncertainty and capital within the Austrian school.  The function
of pure profit is to stimulate awareness of possibilities for
greater economic coordination.  But there is something creative
about the act of perception and that has different implications
depending on how you look at it.

Time, ignorance, expectations, uncertainty, entrepreneurship,
discovery - quite important topics where one can learn from
Austrian and post - Keynesian thinking.

So Austrian economics has had quite a lot of influence on how we
approach things, including with technology.