DIP 1024--Shared Atomics--Community Review Round 1

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 17:40:26 UTC 2019

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 4:30 PM Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, 13 October 2019 at 21:44:45 UTC, Manu wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 2:10 PM Ola Fosheim Grøstad via
> > Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> >
> > How so?
> > `shared` is exactly like const, but with an additional
> > restriction
> > that you can't read either.
>
> Shared provides only identity of the top level.
> Const provides recursively methods for reading.
>
> > "if you have syntactical means to get around it" <- this is
> > `shared`; if we lose shared, we lose thread-local.
>
> Nah, C++ memory was local... Threads came through a
> library/syscall. Didn't loose or win the concept of local
> memory... It is semiotic if not strictly enforced, a matter of
> interpretation.
> A matter of intersubjectivity, e.g people sharing the same
> interpretation.
>
> > Assuming there were no shared, and "data is thread-local" is
> > specified, then you'd be doing UB anytime you spawn a second
> > thread...
>
> No, they could have disjunct stores. Like JavaScript where you
> transfer unique ownership.

They could, but they don't..
You're talking about a lot of hypothetical, I'm talking about how D
is, and how it's always been.

> > It goes very badly every time I've tried this.
>
> I'll have to take your word for it... Something serious?

It just doesn't scale, and relies extremely heavily on template constraints.
You lose; function pointers, virtual functions, binary libs, DLL's,
etc... you also lose auto-complete style features in the editor.
Templates should be the solution to generic code problems, not to
problems like this.

> >> 2. you can extend the meta programming capabilities and have a
> >> more advanced  solution that is more in line with the current
> >> syntax
> >
> > That's a huge development, and much uncertainty.
> > And it's not like we're introducing shared here... he's been in
> > forever, we're just making it mean something.
>
> Yes, there might be a cultural barrier to changing the
> syntax/expected features.

What's the point of that tangent though?
We're not seriously going to consider changing the way const is
defined in D, and make a proposal for user-defines type constructors
in a conversation about making shared work properly.

> > We're not designing foundational mechanisms, Walter designed
> > shared
> > decades ago and it's firmly embedded in the language.
>
> Designed? If it was, there would be no DIP.

I agree it should have been like this from the start, but it exists,
it's the tool we have, and we need to make it work properly.