Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 16:16:24 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 15 October 2019 at 13:09:15 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> This thread is for general feedback and discussion regarding
> Átila's blog post on his vision for D's future.
>
> https://dlang.org/blog/2019/10/15/my-vision-of-ds-future/

If you pardon me making yet another "D need this" post:

(This is not a criticism about the vision but more an observation
of the D vision until now)

There are no "community" points in the above vision but mostly
language points, so I think it continues in a not-that-fruitful
direction, a sort of escapism.

Language nowadays are co-designed along with the community ; this
community's task is to create the open-source ecosystem that will
lure users into using the language. Of course, it's up to the
community to self-organize, however a bit of topdown
organizing/funneling users can always help.

Availability of open source libraries are the #1 reason people
use a new programming language.

But the problem is that our ecosystem of libraries, while it
exists and has solution for most everything, interoperates pretty
badly. It is not maintained enough (or for the latest compilers
only), and/or isn't generally dependable.

Perhaps because of our native backgrounds, we are still quite bad
at sharing code. Nothing to do with what happens in the NPM
ecosystem. We need to go out of our way to create high-quality,
dependable software artifacts with shared maintenance that can be
reused.

This means, practically-speaking:
- fixed DUB rankings
- fixed DUB search
- gamification of HQ library creation
- focus on DUB user experience (the one gateway to compiler
cmdline)
- cooperation over multiple-solutions
- better documentation as a way to get the people to do the above
points

I'm just not excited about language-level features