Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 16:22:22 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 15 October 2019 at 15:05:52 UTC, Meta wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 October 2019 at 13:09:15 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> This thread is for general feedback and discussion regarding
>> Átila's blog post on his vision for D's future.
>>
>> https://dlang.org/blog/2019/10/15/my-vision-of-ds-future/
>

> I'm curious, is Atila's work on this building on Andrei's? I
> remember him talking about his work on a reflection library at
> a recent DConf (I think it was last year's).

Yes, I'm stealing Andrei's idea. I'm currently working on said
reflection library.

> It's a real pain having to stick a
> `.format(OneIndexedArray.stringof, store.length, i)` at the end
> of the message.

I suggest using `std.conv.text` instead. For one liners it's
(IMHO) nearly the same as string interpolation. I think string
interpolation only comes into its own with multi-line strings,
which is common in D because of string mixins and q{}.

> pragma(msg) get's this right, presumably because it's a compile
> time-only construct.

std.conv.text works exactly the same way.