Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 16:29:35 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 15 October 2019 at 14:38:41 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 01:09:15PM +0000, Mike Parker via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> This thread is for general feedback and discussion regarding
>> Átila's blog post on his vision for D's future.
>>
>> https://dlang.org/blog/2019/10/15/my-vision-of-ds-future/
>
> @safe by default sounds like a VERY good idea. Can't wait to
> see when we start transitioning! (Though, I'm not holding my
> breath on it atm -- I realize there's a lot to be done before
> this will be possible.)
>
> Making D the default implementation language: this sounds a bit
> general. What exactly does this mean, and what exactly does it
> entail?  Is this pushing for better marketing ("hey world,
> let's use D as the default implementation language"), or are we
> talking about something on the implementation side here?

I mean "Write once (in D), wrap everywhere". No need for an IDL,
no need for translating, just generalise autowrap as it exists now
to make the (hopefully high-performant) D implementation be
callable
by C, C#, Java, Python, Julia, ...

I'm close to be able to write a blog post on how the easiest way
to call C code from Python right now is D. Run dpp -> use
autowrap -> no code written and everything is now available from
Python. Or Excel, C#, ...

> Interop with C++: while I applaud this goal, I'm not sure how
> exactly we're going to pull this off,

Me neither. But we're in a better position than anyone else to do
it, and if it happens to work in enough use cases we'll have a
competitive advantage.

> C++ programmers expect to be able to cast away const without
> invoking UB,

Which is only *not* UB if the data wasn't const to begin with.
Otherwise...

> Anyway, as for pet peeves / pet features: I'd like to propose
> having a plan for Phobos v2 as Andrei has mentioned once.
> There are some design decisions in Phobos that are hard to
> reverse now, like autodecoding, the whole shebang about .save
> in std.range, etc.. We *might* be able to pull off removing
> autodecoding as a gradual transition, but that's impossible for
> the range API since just about *everything* in Phobos uses it.
> The only possible way I see is std.v2.

I've thought about Phobos v2 but haven't been able to conclude
anything yet.