DMD downloads over HTTPS

WebFreak001 d.forum at webfreak.org
Tue Oct 15 17:20:10 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 15 October 2019 at 16:49:25 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 October 2019 at 15:56:43 UTC, WebFreak001 wrote:
>> On Thursday, 26 September 2019 at 21:26:38 UTC, Vladimir
>> Panteleev wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> I think now it would be possible to set it up for free? As far
>> as I can read these amazon docs it looks like pricing doesn't
>> change with HTTPS:
>> -
>> https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonCloudFront/latest/DeveloperGuide/using-https.html#CNAMEsAndHTTPS
>> - https://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/custom-ssl-domains/
>
> You pay per GB - see e.g.
> https://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/pricing. This is vastly more
> expensive than the public S3 bucket.
>
> Anyhow, we could be sth. using GitHub releases like LDC or DUB.
> It's free and they even use S3 buckets under the hood as well.

an HTTPS endpoint on dlang.org which redirects to the latest
HTTPS GitHub release would be fine I think.

How is downloads.dlang.org currently setup then if HTTPS is not
an option and it's not cloudfront? If the domain is under D's
control then it's possible to add a LetsEncrypt certificate like
on the main page, no?