has anyone got dmd and/or ldc working on alpine linux in docker?

Mathias Lang pro.mathias.lang at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 03:12:32 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 15 October 2019 at 19:32:32 UTC, Aliak wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 October 2019 at 05:13:15 UTC, Mathias Lang wrote:
>> On Saturday, 12 October 2019 at 14:50:52 UTC, aliak wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Yes, our company have. I even tried to submit it as a package
>> upstream, but haven't got ANY feedback for than 2 months now.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Cool! Thanks for that! Question - how have you found alpine
> support generally? As in, do you end up having to jump through
> extra hoops compared to say if you had used a Debian image?

Since I had to make packages to bootstrap the compiler, build dub
and rdmd, it was much more pain that using the D-provided install
script, sure.

The main difference is that alpine uses a different libc (Musl),
and so it needed a few patches in druntime. There are still some
fixes being made: at this very moment, the last PR that made it
in druntime was a fix for musl, for example.

But having an image of 10 to 15 mbs is a great improvement over
the few hundreds of Mb of the Ubuntu (/Debian?) image. If you use
docker a lot (for deployment or integration tests), I believe it
is already worth jumping through those hoops. And once the
package definitions get merged, things will be much simpler.