Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Oct 16 17:57:19 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 16 October 2019 at 11:14:30 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:

> What tooling what you like to see developed that doesn't exist
> now?
> I keep reading online that Go has great tooling, but having
> used it I don't know what people mean when they say that.
> Likewise, I read that people want D to have great tooling but I
> also don't know what they mean then either.
>
>> hobby users don't care so much about the tools as they often
>> have their own custom made build tools for D
>
> AFAIK nearly everybody uses dub. What else would you like to
> see in this area?

Russel has basically answered the question for me. Plugins for
IDEs are indispensable, both beginners and experienced
programmers appreciate the simplicity of IDEs and plugins. A good
asset would be a plugin for Android Studio that compiles and
packages your D library automatically.

Apart from that, your vision document is sound because it focuses
on practical things that programmers would encounter in their
everyday work life.