Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 09:31:11 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 17 October 2019 at 07:25:43 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> I set up the Micrsoft Debian repository for VSCode and
> installed it and you get then to have to decide which of three
> or four different D extensions to install. Which is the
> officially supported one or is it a question of "there are
> multiple extensions to choose from which you choose is your
> problem".

The D front page lacks a big "Get Started" button to a tutorial
for setting up the development environment. So that problem is
easy to fix.

Other languages also have multiple plugins, but the social
ranking tends to favour just one with a very very large margin to
the next contender. So not really a VSCode issue.

> Then there is trying to find out out how to use VSCode.

I view VSCode as an editor and not an IDE, but when trying out
something new, I usually try VSCode first because plugins for
VSCode tend to be plug and play for tools that have reached
critical mass.

I'd be very reluctant to install an IDE just to try out a new
tool/language. I might if it is developed by the same
(commercial) team developing the tool/language.