Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 14:14:18 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 17 October 2019 at 08:26:50 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-10-16 at 14:53 +0000, Atila Neves via
> Digitalmars-d wrote: […]
>>
>> This is another thing I read a lot that I'm not sure what it
>> means. I'm aware of dub's faults, but if we eliminated them,
>> what would make cargo better? I've used cargo and still don't
>> know. Could you please elaborate on what you like about cargo
>> that you'd like to see in dub?
>
> Go and Rust emphasised using Git, Mercurial, and Breezy
> repositories as packages from the outset.

<snip>

As far as I can understand then, in your opinion cargo is better
than dub because:

* It can use direct links to git repositories instead of
mandating the owners of those repositories explicitly register
them (that's all code.dlang.org does, associate an email address
and package name with, more often than not, a git repo on github).
* TOML vs SDL or JSON
* The community rallies behind it
* Details of where compilation artifacts are on the filesystem

Is that an accurate summary?