Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 21:31:14 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 17 October 2019 at 21:24:27 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> You can debate about Perl and Php's support, but they were
> uniquely-positioned languages as the WWW took off. That was
> kind of a big deal.

Perl was actually big before WWW.
Used for scripting purposes by sys admins.
Lisp was big before WWW.
And more...

But you also had commercial languages by small developers before
Open Source became the norm, which also are examples of "no
corporate" languages. Although proprietary. That is difficult
today, though.

> These days it's hard to give someone a compelling reason to
> adopt any particular language. There are so many good
> alternatives no matter what you want to do.

That is true.  But my point is that people do not necessarily
adopt languages, they adopt frameworks for some specific task
which imply a language (so an indirection).