Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 21:58:14 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 17 October 2019 at 21:25:04 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 October 2019 at 20:51:35 UTC, welkam wrote:
>> That message you linked reads like it was written by me.
>
> You both assume too much then...
>
> Ad hominem, slander and hostility does not build good
> communities.  You get what you seed.  That's the source of the
> negativity you complained about. Right there... Right here.

From:
https://scottbarrykaufman.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/trolls-just-want-to-have-fun.pdf

Let me quote the conclusions:
   "it might be said that online trolls are prototypical everyday
sadist"

And there is a non-zero amount of sadists (probably ill-defined
but research shown it's a psychological trait). Some of them will
engage in trolling behaviour.

I hope the reader now see it's hopeless to have no moderation and
hope for the best, since goodwill alone doesn't prevent some
people from enjoying distress in others.

Good communities are built on the Internet with exclusion
(moderation, internet point, banning, etc...)

As evidenced by Reddit, HN, StackOverflow, lobste.rs having all
of that and maintaining a good level of civility. Not banning
people is the surest way to have an unwelcoming community.