Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Fri Oct 18 09:39:00 UTC 2019

On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 08:28:22 UTC, Petar Kirov
[ZombineDev] wrote:
> I don't think that anybody has ever advertised Calypso as
> anything remotely production ready. Like any
> proof-concept/alpha software, it should be used only by people
> coming the mindset that they *will* hit many bugs and they're
> here to test the project, report the bugs and help its
> development. If you're not one of those people you should
> either wait for the project to become ready, or if it's
> important enough for you to help in some other way.

Thank you for that clarification. I distinctly remember some
messages here that implied that Calypso is usable. I don't recall
who said that.

>> Semi-OT, I would also like to see the automatic C++ header
>> generation integrated into DMD/LDC/GDC. This would complement
>> C++-to-D interop nicely. There's a pull request for this
>> feature on github that is slowly getting stale. I don't know
>> if it's merely being ignored or whether there are remaining
>> issues with it.
>
> That's point 4. on my list. When it will be ready it would be
> part of all 3 compilers. As far as I know there's more work to
> be done and when the author has free time he will need to push
> forward before we can have his PR merged.

I was talking about https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/9971, which
would include that feature in the DMD frontend.

Either way, the software stack I work with needs C++ at the
uppermost layer that ties everything together. I could write
individual libraries within the stack in D, but I don't want to
maintain separate interface definitions manually. This is why I'm
so interested int getting this feature. I don't care quite as
much for having C++ interfaces usable from D, although that would
be a big one. Most languages require a C wrapper around C++ which
makes this stuff even more cumbersome to use. I don't want to
bother with anything like this. I even consider the C++
header/implementation file split cumbersome and slow to work with.