Platform support?

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Fri Oct 18 11:07:23 UTC 2019

On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 10:49:42 UTC, bobeff wrote:
> On Monday, 27 March 2017 at 11:58:50 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> The wiki and download page are the best places to look:
>>
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/Compilers
>> http://dlang.org/download
>
> What about video game consoles support? Is it possible to use
> it on the latest and previous generations consoles? I know that
> Remedy has been using it as a scripting language for their
> games, which run on Xbox One, but is it possible to use it on
> Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Wii, Wii U, Nintendo Switch, different
> handheld devices like PSP and so on?

I'm merely guessing, but I'd say that supporting PS4 shouldn't be
too hard because it's also an x86 based platform and the OS is a
fork of FreeBSD 9. The other consoles are harder to support
because they are PowerPC- or ARM-based with operating systems
that are further removed from what the D toolchains currently
support. A considerable amount of tinkering would certainly be
involved. And the console devkit NDAs will typically prevent you
from sharing any such work with outside communities.