Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Oct 18 11:36:45 UTC 2019

On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 11:24:38 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 11:15:55 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>
>> Point taken, yeah, D has great features, and how do you use it?
>
> All the time, and avoiding recent features.

Avoiding recent features? What does that mean? Which features and
why?

>> Desktop / server only I suppose. How does it scale?
>
> Hence the iOS effort.

I couldn't wait anymore. Something so basic (not simple). That's
when D comes back to bite you. Sad but true.

>> Would you use D as other companies use Java and C++.
>
> I've used C++ in commercial capacity in 3 places. All had
> massive compile time problems, fragmentation, inability to add
> third-party code easily, and were massive debt machines.

I believe that but isn't using D a big risk too? Where will it be
tomorrow?

> I would never, ever start any effort in C++ as it's a sink of
> money compared to D. It's just much more expensive.

Ok, me neither. But how does D scale?

> For small tools productivity can be 2x less with C++.

> I think Java is fine when you don't use native. I don't use it,
> but friends are and it seems competent AND fixes long-time
> issues with C++ such as unsigned.

Java is way better than it used to be. Don't you think that D has
missed (cf. iOS and Android) great opportunities because of too
much feature frenzy and trying out CS stuff? Seriously, I think
is has.