Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Fri Oct 18 12:51:45 UTC 2019

On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 11:24:38 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 11:15:55 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>
>> Point taken, yeah, D has great features, and how do you use it?
>
> All the time, and avoiding recent features.
>

>> Desktop / server only I suppose. How does it scale?
>
> Hence the iOS effort.
>

>> Would you use D as other companies use Java and C++.
>
> I've used C++ in commercial capacity in 3 places. All had
> massive compile time problems, fragmentation, inability to add
> third-party code easily, and were massive debt machines.
>
> I would never, ever start any effort in C++ as it's a sink of
> money compared to D. It's just much more expensive.
>
> For small tools productivity can be 2x less with C++.
>
> I think Java is fine when you don't use native. I don't use it,
> but friends are and it seems competent AND fixes long-time
> issues with C++ such as unsigned.

That's also my experience. Using C++ in a fairly high level
projects involving interfacing to servers/cloud or any business
application C++ is just a no go, at least for me. C++ has almost
nothing out of the box, right now C++ doesn't even have its own
socket library. Then you have search of 3rd party libraries which
takes time and you really have to watch out when it comes to
licenses which reduces the amount you can choose from. 3rd party
libraries also varies a lot when it comes to quality. You have
Boost which is quite good but when you include it will increase
the compile times by a crazy amount.

Anything not low level, stay away from C++.

Java is better with good library support but suffers from high
memory consumption. You cannot chuck several Java processes in a
Linux system with only 512 - 1 GB of RAM because you will run out
of memory very quickly. 1 - 4 java processes but then you're out.

D fills the spot between Java and C++. You can quickly code
something in a working condition than C++ which is also more
stable. Memory consumption wise I expect it also to be between
C++ and Java. I would like to see a plug in referenced counted GC
because that would decrease the memory consumption as well which
is good for those small but many services you often see in
systems today.