Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Oct 18 16:57:39 UTC 2019

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 12:47:51PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> My libraries have a pretty good compatibility record. Yes, sometimes I
> push half-baked stuff and people get warnings or whatever, but I tend
> to fix those fairly quickly so 99% of the time you grab my code it is
> probably going to work on old and new compilers alike.
>
> Many of my modules work with D versions going back two years or more.
> I actively test on gcc releases now too, and (in)famously avoid
> third-party library entanglements... again, for the most part.

I actually *really* like your philosophy of avoiding 3rd party library
entanglements.  Using 3rd party libraries seems to be the bandwagon
these days, but it seems people are turning a blind eye to its
downsides.  Being able to just copy the darned source file into my
source tree and just compile away is so refreshingly simple and
effective, as opposed to needing to install some NP-complete dependency
solver, waiting 5 seconds (often more) for said solver to solve that
damned dependency graph every time I build, and needing network access
just to be able to get a pristine copy of the sources, and when the 3rd
party server goes down for whatever reason, you're stuck, ad nauseaum.

I don't like libraries that comes with all sorts of dependency strings
attached. Just give me the darned file, plop it in, and compile away --
no strings attached, no fuss, no muss, no requirements of over-complex,
over-engineered dependency graphs -- *that's* the best kind of library.

What do you get if you drop a piano down a mineshaft? A flat minor.