Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 18 20:34:04 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 17 October 2019 at 18:38:31 UTC, Rumbu wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 October 2019 at 17:56:03 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 04:50:15PM +0000, Rumbu via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:

scope class Foo { ... } was always a bit weird and too narrow a
feature. IMO it would have been better to allow aliases to
storage classes as a general concept

class _Foo { ... }

alias Foo = scope _Foo;

which I have has to hack LDC to do for `__gshared`.

>>> Library solution is not a *language construct*. You know
>>> what? Let's deprecate 'struct'. I bet that we can build a
>>> library solution instead. Too many keywords, 'switch' can be
>>> reduced to a library solution using just 'if's.
>>
>> Why does it have to be a language construct? Please explain.
>
> Because library solutions are workarounds and don't highlight
> any language design commitment. Using library solutions, I can
> make D look like Brainfuck if I insist. But this doesn't mean
> that D is Brainfuck. Keep in mind that the original question
> was why I consider OOP a second hand citizen in D language. I
> fact the outcome of the discussion does nothing else than
> strongly support my opinion: I need a library solution to do
> OOP in D.

What I think was lost in the chain is that it is entirely
possible to do

auto foo = Structify!MyClass(args);

as a counterpart to

scope obj = new MyClass;