language feature usage statistics

Dennis dkorpel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 20:53:50 UTC 2019

On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 19:53:46 UTC, aliak wrote:
> But, having actual usage statistics will take away so many
> assumptions people have about how features are used, how often
> they're used, which features are not used, etc

Totally. I've started toying with this by cloning all packages on
Dub and running libdparse over it. Turns out a shallow clone
takes only ~4Gb total, and a deep clone ~7Gb I believe. I've
already used it a few times to support my cases.

I made this:
https://gist.github.com/dkorpel/10cc13d0740c50a8aab30588f392950f
For this:
https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/9ca12cc89dadc10f2abfb8a98bf4d52ed8679c2a/DIPs/DIP1NNN-DK.md

I made this:
https://gist.github.com/dkorpel/df2c2f567588bb8ee59e293146e52723
For this: https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/10236

These were bodged together, but I plan to make something more
general and polished once I allocate some time for it. Building
telemetry options in DMD is something I don't plan to do, but if
someone else champions that I'd be in favor!