Re: Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Oct 20 03:41:08 UTC 2019

On 10/19/2019 6:52 PM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 October 2019 at 23:38:51 UTC, aliak wrote:
>> Plus, IIRC dmd is a prime example where splitting is not happening because of
>> "reasons". So it's not always doable either.
> Those reasons are largely "Walter" and are unrelated.

I know I'm not popular with this idea, but packagizing dmd is akin to painting a
rusty/dirty car without prepping the metal first.

What I've been doing recently is a series of PRs aimed at OutBuffer, Array, and
StringExp to:

1. use [] instead of * so that array bounds checking can be performed
2. use [] to reduce dependency on terminating 0s
3. make the data allocation private
4. prevent direct access to internal memory management
5. add debug code to ensure no dangling pointers

Fortunately, I found only a couple small issues with memory bugs.

While I'm still not proud of the abstractions, the amount of cowboy programming
around them is significantly reduced, along with the possibility of bugs.