Can compilation times not be sped up any further?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Oct 20 05:44:14 UTC 2019

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 09:56:44PM +0000, Brett via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I have a huge code base... it seems D likes to recompile everything
> every time from scratch. I realize there are ways to fix this but
> can't D go a step further?

Are you using dub?  If you are, you might want to consider using a
different build tool instead. One of the reasons I gave up dub long ago
was because of its compulsion to rebuild everything from scratch every
single time, which is unbearably slow. Now that I have my own build
system setup with SCons, I'm much happier.

Running dmd without dub is actually incredibly fast (compared to, say,
C++) that you generally only need separate compilation for packages.
Compiling all modules in a single package at once is generally fast
enough that there's no need to go to the per-file level of granularity.

"I suspect the best way to deal with procrastination is to put off the procrastination itself until later. I've been meaning to try this, but haven't gotten around to it yet. " -- swr