Re: Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Oct 20 06:01:23 UTC 2019

On 10/16/2019 12:28 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Given how much time and effort has been poured
> into -betterC recently,

It wasn't that much. It was mainly turning some things off. I probably spent
more time documenting it, writing an article, and doing a presentation on it
than implementation.

> it begs the question, why?  What does the
> leadership think of the results of this survey?  Does it think it's time
> to reconsider the amount of effort put into -betterC?
Since -betterC is done, it's not like we can go back in time and take a
different fork in the road. We cannot reconsider that effort.

28% of D users using it is quite a nice return on the little time invested in
it. It also provides an effective answer to those who want to use D without GC
and the runtime library, which was a constant issue.

I myself have found betterC very handy for writing tiny utilities that used to
be in C. It's well suited for use in embedded systems.