Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 20 11:20:16 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 20 October 2019 at 10:08:29 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> While I agree with your sentimentality, this is not something
> worth fighting over until a solid use case comes up.

You mean apart from chunking up a 125 file megapackage? Because
thats the use case to me, not so much compiler as a library
although that has packaging and aa sane codebase as a
prerequisite.
  DMD is an actively hostile codebase to comprehend and reason
about precisely because it is unstructured, not within files or
sprawling dependencies across files, but that the is no logical
structuring to the codebase imposed despite that it obviously
exists.

See https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/9844#issuecomment-498110957
for an example of the less than exemplary behaviour from the
leadership. That veiled threat is more true than ever.

If there is a exists path to the packaging of dmd it needs to be
made clear by Walter and progress can be made towards it. If not,
then he should accept the fate of a dearth of contributors that
follows and the consequences that entails.

> If he wants to leave it for now we should. He has a lot of
> other things on his mind which are far more important.

On the contrary, the malorganised state of the (lack of) packages
is one of _the_ top barriers to entry.