On Forum Moderation

bachmeier no at spam.net
Sun Oct 20 21:03:52 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 19 October 2019 at 12:59:40 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> If such posts bother you, then simply ignore them. Don't reply.
> Even better, don't read any posts by that person at all.

That doesn't really solve the problem. Those posts are off topic.
Going back a few years, when we had the announcement about
Facebook using D, some joker decided to post a laundry list of
problems with D, most of which was false. It was a post that
contributed nothing to the discussion and had nothing to do with
the announcement. I've never replied to threads here to talk
about my son's soccer games or the outcome of a visit to the
doctor's office. The worst offenders are likely cutting and
pasting from posts they made three years ago, because it's the
same tired stuff every time. Any forum with meaningful traffic
has rules about off-topic posts.

> And no, it's not going to hurt us in the world at large. We've
> suffered worse on reddit.

I find that hard to believe. If I was going to build a business
around a language and the only official forum had stuff like that
on thread after thread, I'd look elsewhere. I've never seen it
with another language.