Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 13:31:23 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 20 October 2019 at 19:58:28 UTC, Max Samukha wrote:
> On Sunday, 20 October 2019 at 17:46:07 UTC, Meta wrote:
>

>> I'm not saying that allowing to differentiate between
>> implementations would be worthless, just that it's not a bug
>> that D collapses them into 1 in the implementing class.
>
> I still do not follow why the diamond problem and the lack of
> data members is relevant. For me, it is not different from:
>
> struct A {
>     int x;
> }
>
> struct B {
>     int x;
> }
>
> Both types are isomorphic to int, but we still consider them
> distinct types and x's inside them unrelated, even though they
> are typed and named identically.

That's not really a correct analogy, because A and B are carrying
mutable state. As I said, interfaces carry no state. Let's
imagine that they could:

interface A { int n; void setN(int n); int getN(); }
interface B { int n; void setN(int n); int getN(); }

class C: A, B
{
     //Does super refer to A here, or B?
     override void setN(int n) { this.n = n; }
     override void getN() { return this.n; }
}

If this was possible in the language, it would become VERY
important to be able to specify which interface you were
implementing getN and setN for, because now this code would do
something different depending on whether `this.n` refers to A's n
member or B's:

void takesA(A a) { writeln("Got an A with n = ", a.getN()); }

void takesB(B b) { writeln("Got a B with n = ", b.getN()); }

C c = new C();
c.setN(10); //Is A.n set or B.n?

//What do these methods print? What should they?
takesA(c);
takesB(c);

This should hopefully make more clear why the fact that
interfaces carry no mutable state means that it doesn't matter
whether C.setN / C.getN refers to C.A.getN/setN or C.B.getN/setN.

Now, as has been pointed out, A's getN / setN methods may carry a
different semantic meaning from B's (or, to go back to the
original example, Display.fmt may _mean_ something very different
from Debug.fmt). In that light, it would probably be useful to be
able to tell the compiler that you want a different
implementation for one interface method vs. the other, even
though they have the exact same method signatures.