On Forum Moderation

Claude claudemr at live.fr
Tue Oct 22 10:02:35 UTC 2019

Hello,

I also think forum moderation is too relaxed (though I wouldn't
have said that 6 years ago).

I do not think it's pacifism that kills forums/newsgroup, but
what I would rather call chaos or anarchy, so in other words, the
lack of rules and lack of rule enforcement.

The D community gathers very skilled people. It's a thrilling
experience to be part of that.

But it's sad to see every now and then threads like "Why D is
dead" or "20 things D needs to be great", etc. It's sad because:
1- It's usually negative non-constructive criticism. It's often
poorly formulated. It usually raises problems that have already
been discussed.
2- It gives the impression that anyone can come up with its
desiderata, and dump it on the forum expecting to be taken
seriously.
3- Worse than that, it wastes the valuable time of some more
experienced good-willed members who take the time to reply to
that.

We can get more accurate and serious feedback via polls or some
statistics.

Well yes, we are all adults, but there is a great difference
between a 25-year old impatient guy who just came out of school
and knows nothing about the industry (and it's not his fault,
obviously) and a 60-year old dude who has hundreds of thousands
of line of code behind him.

To say it bluntly, I find some guys show very little respect to D
leadership (or other members) work. And, as we cannot change
people (or judge them, in some philosophical sense), the D
leadership should strengthen the moderation. It might be
counter-intuitive, but to preserve peace, I reckon it's better to
have clear rules (even if too much restrictive), at least
everyone knows where are the boundaries, than no rules at all
(which in fact is always the untold rules of the strongest within
a false liberal paradise).

So I think D forums need better tools to do moderation:
- Allow to move threads.
- Kick/ban users.
- Have a visible pinned thread containing all the rules
(netiquette etc) so it is obvious what is OK and what is not.
- And a "bad cop" moderator who will have to take on himself the
mundane task of enforcing the rules and likely being detested for
that (but that's part of the job, you have to be wise, fair and
have some sense of irony).

Claude