On Forum Moderation

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 20:25:31 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 22 October 2019 at 20:11:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/22/2019 1:01 PM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>> How do you decide when someone is trolling and when someone is
>> making valid criticism?
> Great question.
>
> Trolling is when the criticism lacks any sort of actionable
> specifics. Even if it isn't intended as trolling by the writer,
> it has that effect. For example:
>
>  Trolling: D is no good.
>
>  Not Trolling: Bugzilla NNNN is blocking me. Does anyone have a
> workaround?

Providing actionable feedback is certainly better, but do you
think moderators should remove non-actionable criticism?  If I
just said, "I don't like dub", should that be removed?

It also sounds hard to say whether or not something is
"actionable".  Technically, saying "D is no good" is actionable.
Making D "better" could be a reaction, though it's very vague.
So to me it sounds like your saying, vague and general criticism
should be removed?