On Forum Moderation

NaN divide at by.zero
Wed Oct 23 07:30:52 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 23 October 2019 at 01:12:39 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 10/22/2019 1:40 PM, NaN wrote:
>> That's only trolling if the person saying it is doing so
>> specifically to wind people up. Otherwise it's just regular
>> complaining.
>>
>> Trolling is literally defined by the intent. You cant say the
>> intent is irrelevant, it's the whole point of trolling.
>
> Whether it's intended or not makes no difference, it's useless
> and a time waster to every other reader.

It may be useless and time wasting but that does not make it
trolling. And the question was how do you define trolling. Not
how do you define usless and time wasting.

Just because all grass is green (not true) doesnt mean everything
that is green is also grass.

If you want to ban pointless and time wasting, ban that. But dont
say we're banning trolling and then bend that definition to
include anything you think is pointless.

In fact if you want rules of conduct you'd be better not
mentioning trolling at all, just list specific behaviours that
are proscribed.