On Forum Moderation

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 08:17:57 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 23 October 2019 at 00:24:03 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
wrote:

> It probably doesn't create the best impression for corporate
> users.  Imagine you're a guy in a tech team at JP Morgan trying
> to persuade your boss to try using D.  And there's some
> announcement of something that should be an occasion to build
> constructive energy and ends up becoming another why D will
> never succeed thread. What sort of impression is your boss
> going to form of things?  Quite a lot of corporate people are
> quite superficial and swayed by social factors, but I suppose
> they are also often the ones with the money to decide.

I'm not using Slack, right now it gives the impression of being
'semi-official', as it's not mentioned neither in the Community
menu of the site, but I was told that discussions are productive
and positive over there.
Maybe, it's because it's 'semi official', so, what about keeping
it 'invite only', but provide a read-only view of the best
channels? For sure it's a net increment of positivity.

I've also suggested to improve periodic reports around the status
of specific work topics: something like the ones provided for
SAOC, see the FreeBSD periodic status reports [1] provided by
workgroups. Yes dub, I'm looking at you!

As a final point, I also suggested some days ago to add some
features, like locking a thread, to the forum interface only.

[1] https://www.freebsd.org/news/status

/P