On Forum Moderation

welkam wwwelkam at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 21:23:15 UTC 2019

Please dont use the term troll here. Its poorly defined, can mean
different things to different people and depends on intent of the
poster. We should not care about intent when moderating and only
care about effect of the message.

Second philosophical debates about censorship while interesting
would only muddy the waters and distracts from what needs to be
done.

The problem is that some people here constantly degrading
discourse by derailing conversations, bringing up topics that
were beaten to death without providing nothing new, directly or
indirectly calling/treating others like an idiots, increasing
negativity without any benefit. We need to stop this kind of
behavior and do not let few people to lover the level of this
forum.

My suggestion is to threat this the same way as legal system
threats harassment. In legal system harassment is not described
as specific thing that has been done but as a pattern of
behavior. If you have been called names by a person its not
harassment but if you are being called names everyday by the same
person then its harassment. So if a person does a drive by
posting of D sucks no action is needed but if the person keeps
posting the same thing over and over a disciplinary action needs
to be taken. My suggestion would be to issue a warning first and
if nothing changes do a temporary ban from posting. If nothing
changes a permaban is needed.

Things to not do:
- Do not delete posts and threads of new people complaining about
D. While they usually do not contain any good ideas or anything
that we already didnt know they do provide a way to know
painpoint that users experiance.
-Do not overmoderate oftopic posts. Even if a person was deemed
to constantly derail conversation and disciplinary action was
taken his/her post should not be removed.