On Forum Moderation

OnLooker tekkie656 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 08:28:55 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 22 October 2019 at 20:11:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/22/2019 1:01 PM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>> How do you decide when someone is trolling and when someone is
>> making valid criticism?
> Great question.
>
> Trolling is when the criticism lacks any sort of actionable
> specifics. Even if it isn't intended as trolling by the writer,
> it has that effect. For example:
>
>  Trolling: D is no good.
>
>  Not Trolling: Bugzilla NNNN is blocking me. Does anyone have a
> workaround?

Is this trolling?

"This forum is hostile to criticism, and generally tries to keep
everyone using D the same way. [...]

No technical project is born great. If you want a technical
project to be great, the people working on it have to focus on
its *flaws*. The D's community just doesn't do that.

To sum it up: fatal flaws + no path to fixing + no push from the
community = inevitable eventual death."

Or this?

"So any discussion _now_ would have the very same structure of
the discussion _then_, and would lead to the exact same result.
It's quite tragic. And I urge the real D supporters to let such
conversation die (topics debated to death) as soon as they
appear."