On Forum Moderation

Dan dan.partelly at rdsor.ro
Thu Oct 24 10:29:53 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 19 October 2019 at 12:59:40 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> In my own opinion, what we should not start doing is banning
> people simply for expressing displeasure with the language or
> disagreement with its leadership. Yes, I understand that there
> are a handful of people who seem to do nothing but spread
> negativity and be contrarian. I disagree with almost everything
> those guys post. But that *is not* a bannable offense, nor
> should it be.
>
> I also don't want to be deleting negative posts just because
> they're negative. Then we get into the business of deleting
> replies that quote them, and maybe even losing some actual
> useful signal in all the noise.

It was Machiavelli, I believe, who argued that one should kill
his detractors to stay in power. I tend to agree with him. If you
want to get shit done, naysayers in the least will erode your own
will and you'll end up like in a paradox like Andrei Alexandrescu
who stated on those forums in past that, and I paraphrase, "My
dream job is the worst job I ever had".

But also, pay attention to what you label trolling and
negativity, even if sometimes will be very hard to walk the line.
  Because if you do not, you risk bathing every day in your own
intellectual cesspool and that's the last thing you want. It's
not funny being there.

Also, changing the rules of the forums in itself will do nothing
for D language by itself.Too many times when shit hits the fan
people change leaders, invent new rules, codes of conduct only to
find themselves in the same precarious position as before. Cause
changing leaders without changing  the culture of the
organization generally results in the same old song. D needs to
find it's culture, it's identity, both as programming language
and organization .

D needs strong leadership, more action and less talk, if it is to
raise to any prominence. Get shit done should be the new mantra
of D leadership. If you want D to succeed, you need direct
leadership, not leadership from shadows and immeasurable delays
to DIPs and other requests to D project management. Maybe the
leadership should also read "Extreme Ownership" by Jocko Willink
and "The mission, the man and me" by Peter Blaber to help them
negotiate the extremely complex dynamic of an open source project
of this scale. Yes, books written by military man. Books on
getting the shit done. Today, not in 2 years from now.