Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Sebastiaan Koppe mail at skoppe.eu
Fri Oct 25 06:44:33 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 24 October 2019 at 21:29:08 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> but still has warts like no betterC CTFE.
>
> Specifics, please.
>
> BTW, many of Phobos' modules are template only, meaning they
> should work with betterC.

Many do indeed. And many don't.

Like `chain` https://run.dlang.io/is/sU4q80
Anything on strings like `toLower`, `canFind`
https://run.dlang.io/is/8PS9Vd
Until recently tuple didn't work

Other times, some function should work, but they are inside a
file that imports something that doesn't.

And of course the problem that anything that doesn't work at
betterC runtime, won't work in CTFE as well. Which I understand,
but goes against intuition.

Having said that, I am of the same opinion as Mike Franklin, and
I would rather see work being done on a pay-as-you-go druntime
than on a better betterC.